Monday, February 28, 2011

#83: Check Out a Black History Month Event


            PATRICK WINS AWARD FOR BEST FRIEND! When no one else was willing, he was a beam of sunshine that asked to join me on my adventure to the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library downtown! In my planning and spacing preparations for ensuring accomplishment of the 111 things, it slipped my mind that February was such a short and busy month, so I almost ran out of days to go to a Black History Month event! 
            Ohill claimed to be celebrating on Wednesdays and Fridays by playing jazz music instead of pop, but I didn’t think that merited a “check”. I scoured the internet and was dismayed to find that according to the Office of African American Affairs, the “closing ceremonies” or whatever had been this past Thursday! Yet thanks to the wonderous technology of search engines, I finally found one event that fit in my schedule:
DRUM CALL AND FRIENDS!
JMRL - Central Library.
Celebrate Black History Month! Groove to the beat of African drumming with drummer extraordinaire Whit Whitten and friends. Central Library.  Directions: 201 East Market Street.  2pm.  $free.  All ages welcome

Close, free, for kids of all ages?! HECK YES. There was a trolley stop right in front of the library, and when Patrick and I made it up to the third floor, there was no mistaking the room it was in. There was a woman in full head to toe African dress, at least a dozen different sized bongos and drums, and a man who had been to Ghana himself (“back in ’92”; he thought some of the 7 year olds might have been that old haha) It was super fun, and while 90% of me wanted to get up there and steal a drum from a 3 year old or start dancing with the older woman, I controlled myself—partly because Patrick wasn’t goading me too hard and partly because the number of parents there was intimidating. One of my favorite parts was the kid in the Batman shirt next to me who couldn’t take his hands off his ears!
            It was such a lovely day that we decided to walk back to Grounds and grab something to eat at Mel’s (because we were starving and it was on the list). It’s closed on Sundays for future reference. But we DID make it to Arch’s to get not only a free sample of Angel Food Cake (#41: Get a Free Sample at Arch’s), but to chow down on their delicious paid for fro-yo concoctions. What a lovely afternoon, thanks Patrick!!

"I bless the rains down in Africa." - Toto

No comments:

Post a Comment