Sunday, February 27, 2011

#104: See a Show at Old Cabell Hall

            Thanks to V-Dubs I’ve sung on stage at Old Cabell quite a few times, but tonight I went to the UVA Jazz Ensemble’s concert featuring the Free Bridge Quintet. While I rearranged a lot of my schedule to fit this one event in for my History of Jazz concert paper which is due in the matter of days, I’m glad I had the opportunity to go. John D’earth (the leader of the ensemble AND lead trumpet for the quintet) basically co-wrote my textbook and we see samples from the famous band members (Jospe, Decker etc) practicing all the time in class.
            Probably my favorite part of the whole experience was reading the song titles and trying to imagine what the composer was going for…any shift in your perception makes a world of difference in what you “hear” from a song. This particular concert spoke to me as they played “Dolphin Dance” by Herbie Hancock and then actually dedicated the concert to Rachel Carson! D’earth wrote a new arrangement for this Green Chemistry movement that’s going on in the sciences right now… I just felt like it was the perfect concert for an environmental scientist named Emily to go to :D
            And there was a girl with adorable cheetah shoes and a pretty fine trombonist. I went by myself. I’m tired of going to these things by myself. More tomorrow I suppose.

“OOoooOOh Carrie likes the JAzZ man. JAZZ man.” –Big, Sex & The City

No comments:

Post a Comment