Wednesday, February 2, 2011

#82: Grab Some BBQ in Belmont


            I grew up within 3 miles of the consistently rated Best Barbeque in Richmond, but if you know me you probably know how picky I used to be. It actually took me at least four years to try Alexander’s BBQ (the aforementioned BEST) which is owned by one of my best friends’ parents! But baby, it’s all in the sauce. Love Alexander’s for life, but I have been able to branch out so long as the BBQ isn’t vinegar based and the sauce is bangin!


            Also, it makes me really happy when Joe asks me to do anything with a plan in mind! He asked to take me out to Belmont BBQ which was on the list and darling you have no idea how happy that made me! When we were there he realized that Belmont really is more of a catering place and that we may have tried it at the Pi Lam Turkey festivities. Belmont is on the southeast side of downtown on a tiny little corner. There is one small counter that can seat maybe five people, but we didn’t have a problem because only one other person came in while we were there (for a takeout order). The menu was pretty reasonably priced… about $5 for a sandwich and a hefty side for about $2 extra. In my pre-restaurant research, I found that the jalapeño poppers are highly recommended as are the rib sandwiches. Joe got a large pulled pork sandwich with onion rings and cheesy potatoes (which he LOVED and were definitely super cheesy!) and I got the regular small sandwich with some bangerang fries.

            The sauces were really good…I standardly prefer mild, sweet sauces, but it was a little bland for me. I definitely preferred the hot sauce. But we didn’t get a chance to try the inferno sauce…maybe next time! There’re also several restaurants around the area that I’m looking forward to trying, including The Local where I just made reservations for Valentines day!

P.S. Here's the Belmont Challenge. It sounds somewhat easy...but those pint sized sides are HUGE! There was only one picture of a champion on the wall haha...if you happen to be into eating competitions bring me along when you do this, I'd love to see it!

“All normal people love meat.  If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, “Yo Goober!  Where’s the meat?  I’m trying to impress people here Lisa.  You don’t win friends with salad.” — Homer Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment