Saturday, February 5, 2011

#101: Complete the Dining Hall Marathon: 3 in 1 Day

            It is very early in the morning, very early indeed. But it’s a Tuesday, and being a Tuesday and day one of the week that I go out in public to look presentable, I suppose I need to shower. Ahh yes, that does feel better now. But hey, what a novel idea, I think I’ll skip breakfast…dun dun dun. No. I think not. That’s where the sorority girls who think they can cut calories out of their Joose diets go wrong. Well, one place anyway.
            Today is the first day of February…and my new philosophy is that a great way to start off the new month is by partaking in delicious food. So today is the day I choose for my dining hall triathalon: going to three dining halls in one day. Two years of preschooling and seventeen years of greater education have cultivated the great problem solving skills that I needed for this task: deciding the order of the dining halls and therefore which meal would be gourmet-ly buffet-ly bestowed to me.

                                                                                            <http://www.heinzproav.com/portfolio.html
The Meal: Breakfast (of Champions); Newcomb Hall; approx 8:20 AM
The Fare: Scrambled eggs and a buttered biscuit. Who am I kidding, I couldn’t resist that second buttered biscuit either, or the second cup of Pepsi.
The Rating: I feel like Newcomb was the safest choice for breakfast because there is NOT much else that Newcomb does well at all. Breakfast at UVA is pretty standard, but today was probably one of the worst ones due to the brittle dryness of the biscuits and lack of bacon, potatoes, and pancakes. I give this morning a 4/10. Oh Newcomb. At least I got my own table and had extra time to read before class!

                                                                                            <http://www.heinzproav.com/portfolio.html

The Meal: Lunch (of the loser whose friend never showed up to meet her); Ohill; 12:30 PM
The Fare: Turkey and Gouda on wheat bread, curly fries, and lemon chess pie
The Rating: I had a lovely lunch with Audrey who I happened to find at a prime table in Ohill by coincidence! Ohill has the  best sandwiches by far, but they also have a great lunch selection as compared with Newcomb. For starters, Ohill actually offers little fillets of chicken a lot; they heat their sandwiches and offer cheese varieties! Richard the sandwich guy always wants to give me extra cheese and did a little singsong for me when I told him I only wanted one piece. I was feeling guilty because I knew I wanted the curly fries, but not too guilty because I resisted the mac and cheese! Plus, the pie is delicious! I still feel like the quality of Ohill has gone downhill since first year, but I clearly have no complaints to being served delicious entrees that are right up my picky alley. Ohill, you are an 8/10.

                                                                                             <http://www.heinzproav.com/portfolio.html

The Meal: Dinner (without Jon after he said he would do the whole day with me and didn’t come to one meal because he was playing video games); Runk; 6:15 PM
The Fare: Grilled seasoned chicken breast, BBQ baked beans, mac & cheese shells, chocolate icemilk, cereal mixture with milk
The Rating: Runk has really surprised me with what they bring to dinners: I am rarely disappointed in the little gem that I rate 9/10 (on the UVA scale of course…this does not generalize to other campus populations whatsoever!) Joe and I ate based on Dave and Kalli’s recommendations and I loved the food but I was just so full from eating two big dining hall meals earlier I couldn’t bear to finish the big chicken breast.

Summary
1) All in all, follow my tour de Grounds, I think it will work out in your favor.
2) Also, three meals in one day may be too much. I didn’t even do that when I was a first year and didn’t have a choice (I remember eating 100 calorie packs of cookies for breakfast on my morning walk to classes).
3) Finally, don’t worry if you do have a big day on the dining halls. I weighed about three pounds less than average the next morning and didn’t even manage a stomach ache all day –a huge feat for me!


“An education is the most important thing in the world, next to family.”
“And pie.” –Gilmore Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment