Saturday, February 26, 2011

#59: Sing Your Heart Out at Baja Bean Karaoke


            I’m not even exaggerating when I say the twenty-second birthdays this year are giving those little 21st girls a run for their money. Last night was Heather’s, and in honor of celebrating her life rather than her emergence from the womb, we delayed a day and went out on Thursday! We started the night off SURVIVING with about 3 2-dollar doubles each at Bilt and then stumbled over to Baja Bean for karaoke night!
            I love Baja. They have DOLLAR tacos on Friday and Saturday nights that are actually pretty delicious, comparatively cheap margaritas, and the Green Card system where you get points for trying different types of tequila shots! But Thursday nights, the Corner just shines, and Baja is no exception…they couple dancing upstairs with tequila and karaoke below. What had been earlier proclaimed a “vaginas only” group was temporarily amended as our new friend Thomas joined us in the ridiculous, timeless tradition. We got there a little after 9:45 though, and by then the wait-list was pretty lengthy as we sat or stood at the front tables through some heinous singers. Finally, my name was up, and Heather helped beat-box to my “Right Kind of Wrong” rendition in tribute of her birthday! After Heather and Jade did another Leann Rimes song, Heather and Molly transformed into Britney and Madonna for their “Me Against the Music” duet…Lauren featured as a sick backup dancer. We all fled the scene immediately in order to avoid more embarrassment, but the guys I talked to seemed to love our performances (probably our ensembles and current state of mind more…). But I had so much fun and am so glad I can officially cross this off my LIFE LIST too!

Ted: Why do they call it karaoke anyhow? Was it invented by a woman named Karey Okee? These are the kind of things I think about
-- How I Met Your Mother

1 comment:

  1. Would love to use one of the photos above...and get a comment from you about Baja Bean on the corner closing...yes, it is. Could you get back to me?

    Dave McNair
    The Hook newspaper
    dave@readthehook.com

    ReplyDelete