Sunday, April 17, 2011

#8: Run or support a Charlottesville road race


             This weekend, UVA hosted several large-scale events to commemorate the inauguration of Teresa Sullivan as our eighth president. My favorite was Friday when VWC got to sing for nearly five hundred guests at the AFC luncheon (Casteen, the governor, and Tiki Barber were all in attendance). But today (Sunday), “Terri” held an official UVA Inaugural Walk and may have converted some Cvillians to the cult that is VOLKSSPORTING.
            This “noncompetitive sport” is awesome in that you get to experience some beautiful, scenic routes on a selected 5 or 10k course. But that’s just it… walking to earn a stamp or a “merit patch” that the real “noncompetitors” wear all over their jackets. Terri apparently did the walk early in the morning and I was a little disappointed I didn’t get to run into her (walk into her… gotta love “noncompetition sports”). I signed up to work the road “race” from 10am-2pm and got paired with my AFC friendly face Michelle who teaches cycling classes on Wednesdays! It was fun hanging out with her, and we got a beautiful spot right at the corner of University and Rugby by a lilac tree.

           It was a little cold in the morning, and all we had to do was stand there and smile at the passersby (which quickly became few and far between) and tell them to cross the street in front of the Rotunda in case they couldn’t read the maps. But there were dogs, occasional babies, Tug for the Town fratstars, sorawrity girls in too weather inappropriate short dresses, texts about last night, and great conversation to keep my mind preoccupied. Around noon we had a car drop us off a burger each and some cookies and I got a cupcake surprise visit from Joe!
            P.S. Sorry for the “everywhereness” of this blog. And for the whole not actually taking part in the running of a race… I have self diagnosed myself to have exercise-induced urticaria and refuse to run unless I really have/want to. But I supported it so it counts!

“Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.” – Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment