Saturday, April 9, 2011

#67: Attend a Student Theater Production

                                                                http://artsuppliesonline.com/blog/paintingtherosesred.jpg
            Because of the ubiquitous amount of choir rehearsals we’ve been having, I’ve been walking by the Old Cabell quite a bit lately. This week the South end of the Lawn was strewn with red and white roses with little notes on them that said The War of the Roses is Coming… it was all very Alice in Wonderland meets history in a sneak attack, yet I didn’t know what it meant until I saw the flyer in Ohill today: it was a Shakespeare play.
            Lucky for me, my night was open, so I tromped through the puddles to get to the SAB. The Shakespeare on the Lawn group has been anticipating this performance that was three years in the making due to the amalgamation of three separate Shakespearean plays into one. The story surrounds the White Yorks and the Red Lancasters in treachery, scandal, and battle over who should rule England (and, at times, France). The play was FABULOUS and the actors and actresses were SO talented with incredible amounts of lines to learn due to doubling and Shakespeare’s verbosity. There was carnage and lust and several comedic parts (which I always love) that kept me SO entertained despite taking a little time at the beginning to be able to recognize the characters and to distinguish what was going on in the historical reference frame.
            Like I said, the show was amazing and I had an incredible time watching it! My only complaint was the length… I left after the second intermission right as Henry VI denied his son the right to the throne and left it in the future of Richard Plantagenet. That was over two hours after it began…but honestly, like I said, that’s Shakespeare’s fault. Shakespeare on the Lawn, I commend thee!
            If you’re interested, please go to the SAB every night this weekend (through the 10th) at 8pm, you won’t be disappointed! Plus the actors play music at intermission, it’s all great fun.

“I will make it felony to drink small beer” (Henry VI, 4.2.50)

No comments:

Post a Comment