Thursday, April 7, 2011

#11: Watch a UVA sporting event to which you’ve never been


            Last Saturday I woke up early to go to the women’s club rugby game!... Conveniently held in Mad Bowl ON Rugby. Jon and Joe were there to support some of the amazing women we’ve befriended over the years, and I am sorry that I’d never been to a match before! The entirety of the game I was just amazed at the beauty and skill that goes into handling the ball in this rough sport. My only memory of rugby is asking my dad if I should go out for a team to try something new at the beginning of college: he literally laughed at me.
            Ning, Amber, Rosa, Danielle, Sharon, you guys were BEASTS out there! UVA took on Princeton and wooped them. I won’t soon forget Bryce and little Turner blowing the vuvuzela, the dogs running around, or the loads of food that were being given away for a small donation. The day was chilly so the boys and I went to Dunkin Donuts to warm up after a 40 minute half (I don’t know how they tackle and run so long!). I still don’t know too much about rugby, but Joe taught me enough about the scrum, horizontal passing, and scoring for me to want to learn and watch more.

"I may not have been very tall or very athletic, but the one thing I did have was the most effective backside in world rugby." - Jim Glennon

No comments:

Post a Comment