Friday, April 1, 2011

#53: Groove to jazz at Miller’s


            A hop, skip, and a jump from the trolley stop at the Downtown Mall, Miller’s is completely unique as a bar hotspot. I’m sure it also benefits a lot from the support of students who flock to Miller’s in order to fulfill their History of Jazz concert report requirements. That was how I first came to learn about the place second year when Joe took me on a jazz date! Although the tiny fishbowl window supports live music every night (this bar is where Dave Matthews first got started!), jazz is only played on Wednesdays and Thursdays from about 11pm on. (we made that mistake trying to go back way too early for the second time).
            This year I am taking jazz, and Joe and I got around to getting out last cold, blustery night. Second year had been super crowded and we’d had to cram upstairs because of all the last minute paper writers! But last night was mildly empty, with only a few older couples and sneezing old men who packed up their half-eaten food or threw it out to our dismay. Food is not served after 10 pm, but as a general rule the food looks amazing on the menu, and Miller’s hosts great happy hour specials like $1 fries and half off chicken tenders! They also have (or at least used to) a giant nacho challenge where if you ate them by yourself in under an hour you got them for free!
            The thing about us getting older, this time, is that we were able to enjoy the drinking atmosphere that envelops the old building! There’s an extensive drink menu that can be found online, and the beer selection was (in my uneducated opinion) outstanding! He got a Rogue Dead Guy Ale followed by Long Trail Double Bag while I sunk deep into a rather large Bahama Mama at the bar. Right around 11, Thompson & D’earth went on and as usual, blew my mind. I’ve had jazz on my brain all week because of an exam and visiting my grandmother, and I won’t be able to get it out again! When you go, be sure to tip the band because there’s no cover charge and I’m pretty sure the musicians make next to nothing, and they are just SO talented. 
“By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn’t want your daughter to associate with” - Duke Ellington

No comments:

Post a Comment