Friday, April 22, 2011

#56: Feed Your Soul at Mel's Diner

<yelp.com>

            I’d been looking forward to this task but wasn’t sure that the small building would be able to accommodate customers in rainy conditions. Luckily for Joe and me, there are four or five tables inside for days like this cold, rainy spring one when sitting on the patio isn’t as optimal. I’m SO glad we enjoyed our dinner inside though, because Mel and his mother and the rest of his staff are absolutely the most endearing family to run a small restaurant I’ve seen in a long time!
            They were so welcoming when we came in, gave me helpful suggestions about desserts (even though I stuck with the yellow and chocolate cake haha), and interacted with the other customers (all local frequenters) like they were best friends. It was a great Southern down-home feel to the place, and there were pictures of the family all over the walls which made it so homey.

            Mel and his momma laughed when Joe ordered the big plate of wings with a double side of fries, roll, and a side of an 8oz mushroom burger. I got a 5oz cheeseburger (only $3!), shared the large heap of his fries and followed it up with that cake :D The prices are SO reasonable, and I thought the food was pretty decent. Joe absolutely loved the fried wings. If you go and you’re adventurous, you should try the “World Famous Sweet Potato Pie”, but make sure you bring cash or checks… they don’t take credit cards and they’re not open Sundays. Not gonna lie, I’m kind of excited that Mel’s is coming to the Ampitheater Thursday for the 4th years… I hope they bring some mac and cheese to try :D


“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.” -Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment