Monday, May 2, 2011

#9: See a Horse at Foxfield


            Yesterday was one of the happiest social experiences I’ve had in college – Foxfield Races 2011. I’ve been asked several times, however, if I regret not attending the races earlier. After thinking long and hard about it, no. The reasons?


1)     I was actually 21. (well I was actually 22.5 but we won’t be going there). As a result, I took that tequila and cran cup all over, never worrying for a second that I could be stopped. No fear!


2)     I actually like seeing horses, and Charlotte, Chelsea, and Joe liked that too. So I wasn’t held back by the 10 other people around me belittling the fact that I wanted to see the race


3)     Foxfield is freakin expensive. Heather warned me the night before that it was the stupidest thing, that it was just paying money to sit uncomfortably in a field and drink while surrounded by frat stars. While I had a blast, to some extent this is true. Tickets were $40 a pop, plus we got a plot, plus we covered Charlotte’s grief by paying for her ticket, plus I wanted to pay for Joe. That put me at a hefty $150 experience + the cost of my fancy hat + food + alcohol that had to be in a plastic container. And I even re-used my dress!


4)     This was by far the best day in the past 4 years to go to Foxfield. 74° clear blue skies, most all of my friends in the same place, no torrential downpours or sweltering hot weather like in previous years.


I LOVED IT. And I think events like this are super important for friendships that are about to TEMPORARILY part ways after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment