Tuesday, May 24, 2011

#37: Rope Swing at Blue Hole


        "You have to cross three bridges to get to the Black Hole," the old gentleman on the bicycle with the straw hat and winter gloves mused. It had been a long drive to this unmapped site, and had he not been biking by, we may have turned around and never made it.
        On the last day before I left for a few days at home, Molly, Lauren, Jade and I went on one last excursion to this mountain stream! It was an overcast day in May, and the water was no warmer than 50 degrees. I didn't want to get in, but fearing regrets is the best way to keep me from them, and the girls are so good at getting me to realize I'd be missing out!


             We made a few friends from Jade's hometown who goaded us to get in...after assessing the different depths of the water (trying to avoid stray rocks in the shallows) and optimal jumping points, Lauren was the first brave soul to jump in!


           Then Molly jumped.

           And then Jade took the first try on the rope swing! And then.... yes, I took the plunge.


             That mix of freezing mountain water and Joe's vulnerable immune system landed me with a nasty cold that I still have two weeks later... my system will recover. Regrets last forever :D


"Well, you just have to stand up to your fear and not let it squeeze you white. Right?" - Bridge to Terabithia

1 comment: