Wednesday, May 4, 2011

#80: Participate in a Sustained Dialogue Event

            
             I’d been hoping that Sustained Dialogue would do their normal “Stereotype Me” T-shirt day where they hand out white t-shirts and you have to fill it in with how you don’t fit your stereotype. Like, I would put I’m a WASP but I don’t eat salads. But they didn’t do it this semester!
            So while I can’t devote two hours twice a month to actually participating in Sustained Dialogue and talking about racial issues around grounds (even though the website is ridiculously un-updated, apparently it’s a yearlong commitment), I did try to go out of my way today to talk about some issue that I think is important to discuss in a college campus, even if it's not particularly race-related. Or maybe it is.
            This girl came to the AFC today to pick up a cooler and I talked to her about what she was using it for. The chick had been in my psych class two years ago- the kind of pretty that guys like but girls look at and see as catty and fake. And VERY VERY skinny. She said she was taking the cooler to Clark for “No Diet Day”, a two hour event promoted by HOPE (Hoos Open to Preventing Eating Disorders) and the Women’s Center. They were giving out cups and free lemonade to endorse better body images. I’m sorry, I had a really hard time accepting lemonade from the skinny minnies there. Easy for you to say when your body is already a size –3.

So, reader, what are your thoughts? (I’m trying to sustain some dialogue here, help me out :D)

2 comments:

  1. They should've handed out cupcakes....lemonade is not really a non-diet beverage, simply a summer beverage, and it was too cold for summer beverages today. Cupcakes are far more delicious, but I think they're too lazy to prepare them and, like you said, are really actually dieting for the summer bikini days, but they want to pretend they're not. Hence they chose the lemonade, which really isn't diet-free, hence it was a fail and I didn't even stop by for a free cup. Also, this is technically not an SD event so you can't cross it off your list. However, as SD is lame and not doing their t-shirt day, and as you are dialoguing more than they, I will allow you to substitute this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. that's from charlotte, idk why my identity is a thousand random numbers long

    ReplyDelete