Monday, November 29, 2010

#54: Explore the Alderman Stacks

        
              Alderman library is kind of off my radar since the closest class I have on central Grounds is Clark, so I don’t trek here often unless I’m on a mean search for a certain dessert from Greenberry’s.  I go here for lengthy sessions to crank out long papers, nothing more. But this semester I have an ominous term paper smirking at me from a week away deadline. This time I actually did something right and began researching it over a month in advance. I worked on a 7 page outline over Thanksgiving dinner. I came back to school early to work on it. And this will likely be my last blog before Winter Break starts because this 20-pager will be the death of me.
  I did “get lost” in the Alderman stacks researching for World War II memoirs since my project is on the Enola Gay controversy regarding its display in the National Air and Space Museum. After navigating my way through the black hole that is VIRGO, I went to Alderman to pick up the books and found out there are hundreds of square feet of library I never knew existed. I was turning corners, going up to “M” floors, getting on the wrong elevators – in the silent daze of musty secret maze.

I’ve never been so happy to see a librarian in all my life once I came out of stacks. (#52: Check out a book from the library).

And come Monday, I'll never be so happy to return five books.

“I have lost all sense of home, having moved about so much. It means to me now -- only that place where the books are kept.” - John Steinbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment