Wednesday, November 3, 2010

#15: Rent a Movie from Clemons

            I’ll tell you what- this is 2010, and the average price of a movie ticket alone in Charlottesville is $10.50. I kissed the whole movie and popcorn and drink and concession candy days goodbye four years ago when I left the grandeur of the thrifty Byrd Theater (unless I happen to sneak in some Junior Mints or something if I’m feeling risky). And as of this past spring, the Blockbuster in Barracks is even shut down now. Unless you want to spend $15 or more on purchasing a movie at Target, your best bet is to do as I have done: DEFINITELY take advantage of the Robinson Media Center!!
            Located semi-conveniently just one floor below the fourth floor of Clemons (there’s even parking out back at night!) they actually have a pretty decent array of TV series and movies for you to peruse! I have rented almost all the Sex and the City DVDs at one point or another, had a great night when I broke my tailbone third year and Tori rented us a scary movie, and Joe and I have come across several movies we wouldn’t have watched normally (due to a four year antiquity period or so). But this past Friday was Halloween weekend, and I was in the mood for mayhem. Due to indecisiveness and the fact that almost everyone there was on the same mission as me, I couldn’t find what I was looking for, so I scoured over the titles for anything that would pop out. AHA! I found the little nugget of delight wedged among the losers and snatched it up. Got to talk to a really *interesting* fellow with a lisp who was looking for a horror movie (hopefully not to watch alone! We should’ve invited him along…), and then I checked out upstairs.

            It took a little smooth talking Kimberly to help me convince Heather (with the help of an apple…dearie!) that it wouldn’t be too scary of a movie. First off, I want to stress that this blog is an advertisement for this movie! GO SEE IT! It has my favorite actress ever Sigorney Weaver in it—she is the perfect mix of beautiful and crazy and especially villain. I think you might find that you don’t remember much about the story of Snow White at all, and this story’s tagline was “The fairy tale is over” –it’s full of surprises! Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It wasn't scary at all, the cover is way worse than the movie and the witch makes only about a 2 minute appearance. I don't recommend it for kids just because there are a few sexual scenes in there which I never want to have to explain to any child, but I think anyone over 18 can definitely handle it without getting freaked out! For those of you who aren’t convinced you should watch it, here’s a few highlights:
-        There’s a miscarried baby that comes back to life from some “stolen seed”
-        It isn’t a kiss that makes the princess come back to life…
-        The prince pales in comparison to the sexy, rugged miner man
-        Historical significance and a LOT of religious iconography which is sort of disturbing

"Never look a raven in the eye for too
long. Might steal your soul and fly away
with it." -- Snow White: A Tale of Terror

No comments:

Post a Comment