Thursday, November 18, 2010

#10: Go to an International Party

            International party! Doesn't THAT sound like a blast! But what constitutes such a thing? With all the international kids I know here or at the very least have mutual friends with, I was pretty shocked to wrack my brain and not remember an “international party”. I guess that’s good in a way because that means that the University does a decent job at integrating students of all types of social agendas?
            Second year when I lived in Lambeth I remember going out with a group to Panda Garden bahahaha. It was a predominantly Persian fiesta held in a Chinese restaurant that a girl had rented out for her birthday party. Coinciding with the era when I would only go out to dance (and the close proximity to Lambeth in the wintertime) I rolled right along down the hill and actually paid $5 at the door just to get inside because none of us knew the girl. It was packed, a sweaty rocketship-towards-happiness-while-getting-lost-in-the-dark-and thus moving-however-you-wan-to sort of jamboree. When Kimberly decried that this was in fact a birthday party and not an “international party,” I had my bar set high and was on the lookout for an opportunity. One of the many things other nations know that America refuses to see: life is not a gradual process of getting worn down at the grindstone. They know to enjoy life. They know to dance. I would argue that there is a parallel here.
            Anyway, Friday the opportunity fell into my lap: it was another absolutely frigid night, and my coworker Christian had sent out a message to everyone saying to come to his farewell party before he leaves for Brazil: CARNAVAL. This is what Wikipedia says on the subject:

Carnival is the most famous holiday in Brazil and has become an event of huge proportions. The country stops completely for almost a week and festivities are intense, day and night, mainly in coastal cities. The consumption of beer accounts for 80% of annual consumption and tourism receives 70% of annual visitors. The government distributes condoms and launches awareness campaigns at this time to prevent the spread of AIDS.

            The party was absolutely packed with people because it was technically an LSA function (not Lesbian Straight Alliance haha, Latino Student Alliance :D) and it was on Harmon which is literally right across the street from me, so we didn’t have to walk all the way to the Corner for entertainment. Although let’s face it, that’s where we ended up eventually anyway! Our caravan of carnival-goers included A BUNCH OF AWESOME NORTHERNERS!! (Medina, Dumblauskus, Jenn, Joe, Jon, his friend Travis). After playing Cranium (and watching Emily & Dan McNally on a hilarious recording of the Newlyweds!!) we headed over to the party where there was ample salsa dancing interspersed with the dj’s computer freezing up. But it was so packed and so much fun! And jello shots?! And such a hospitable host; today he came up to me and said “so I don’t want to be creepy, but were you at my house on Friday” hahaha. LSA: groove on. International parties: bring it on.

“Everyone has a Latino inside them.” --
Paulina Rubio

No comments:

Post a Comment