Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We'll Sing it O'er and O'er, it Cheers our Hearts

The Jeffersons' debut 2010
            I am proud to say that amidst all the heartbreak and crushes that have typified UVA football over the past four years, I have definitely felt a part of that unique section of the student body that still supports our team. From a 9-4 season when we basked in the protective cushion that was Chris Long to last year’s 3-9, it has definitely been a ride. Now I face the final football game of my undergraduate career this weekend, traditionally Thanksgiving weekend, against Virginia Tech. I’m praying that this will finally be the year we beat Tech and carve up some Hokie bird for the holiday.

We Are One Whiteout 2010

            I’d like to take the time to address two of the “To-Do List” items that relate to football as we close this season. 2010 was the season that Mike London replaced Al Groh as Head Coach of the Wahoos. It was a long time coming, especially when you're giving up hours of the weekend accruing devastating records, analyzing the moral abyss many of our players had fallen into, and watching the hideous mistakes of our offensive line. I think that the one thing Groh did do right (before he was  booed every game and publically flayed in the Cav Daily nearly every issue) was attempt to instill a sense of unity and camaraderie within the student section by encouraging THE POWER OF ORANGE.
First Year Power of Orange!
Second Year Freezing in empty stands with Joe!


         I’ve been to the games in the traditional Guys in Ties, Girls in Pearls getup. I’ve supported Groh’s Orange Nation. I purchased a UVA ’10 jersey (and am glad that was the number because it will mark the last season!). I sported London’s Make Scott Stadium Blue efforts. I even wore the free XL t-shirts they gave out in a somewhat effective attempt to “White Out” the stadium! I’ve tried to show my support for the program, I really have. I even bared my stomach. Those of you who know me know what a concession that was for me, and my spirit was burned into me thereafter (still now!) in the form of a giant H. So yes, I would say that I have accomplished Task #17, Dress for the Day at Home Football Games.
Third Year Ladies in Sundresses

Fourth Year Sabre Fans of the Week!

I have also watched many halftime shows at the games – Task #110. Unlike many in attendance in Scott Stadium, I stay through the slow defense maneuvers, the embarrassing turnovers, Mark Verica’s general existence… and it’s not like I can afford the $3.50 drinks at halftime even when I’m burning to a crisp below. So I stay and watch! One of my favorite halftime memories was sitting next to Jon and this girl was pushing people away, blatantly freaking out because some musical star was performing to the Lion King and she was in love with him, it was totally crazy. Anyway, I know that I will miss the free football next year, but I'm now determined to become a pretty epic tailgater and to instill a fervor for a decent team in my own kids. Hopefully the UVA football program will have a great turnaround in the near future, or at least in the next 30 years :D



"If lessons were learned in defeat, our team is

getting a  great education." -Murray Warmath

.

No comments:

Post a Comment