Monday, October 18, 2010

the looming volcano

     This past weekend was Homecoming at UVA, full of delicious food and old friends returning in a jovial time reminiscent of Christmas (…unfortunately the feast was tainted as a fresh slaughter of Cavaliers was served to UNC). But this is the last season that I can actually call beautiful Charlottesville autumn my home. Don't get me wrong, I love feeling at home here, and I can't even imagine what my life would have been like had I been anywhere else over the past four years. But while I definitely LOVE my school, I recognize that I am one of the only college kids who is sort of ready to move on... I am looking forward and am ready for change (believe me, a rarity in my life).
       So Saturday night my favorites got together to rock it like a hurricane at Three for 80s night, per usual. We found it absolutely packed with “old people” trying to live up their glory days again and left a little bruised and a little wary—begging that those desperate women on the dance floor wearing clothes they shouldn’t won’t be us in X years.
       I am kind of thrilled to see what becomes of all of us-- the men and women we are already turning into. And I am determined to live every day to the fullest while I am here, that I will be ready to thrive post-grad with no regrets. What better way than to complete the Class of 2011 List of 111 Things to Do Before Graduation, you say? Answer: BLOG ABOUT IT. I vow to do my very best to check one thing off my list every week until May (where lets face it, I’ll be scrambling because I refuse to leave here without completing these tasks…it’s on my ultimate lifelist!)



   
       I got the title for my blog based on the following quote by Dave Eggers – a fantastic artist in his literary works. We are all headed toward the volcano…the precipice of graduation and the real world. The way he sees it we have two options: jump in or be overwhelmed by it, so it’s best for us to just be ready. I hope you will take an interest in completing these tasks with me (it's always better together) and thank you for reading!

"And we will be ready, at the end of every day will be ready, will not say no to anything, will try to stay awake while everyone is sleeping, will not sleep, will make the shoes with the elves, will breathe deeply all the time, breathe in all the air full of glass and nails and blood, will breathe it and drink it, so rich, so when it comes we will not be angry, will be content, tired enough to go, gratefully, will shake hands with everyone, bye, bye, and then pack a bag, some snacks, and go to the volcano." Dave Eggers

No comments:

Post a Comment