Sunday, October 24, 2010

#2: Pick fruit at Carter Mountain

    This task was never going to be a problem for me because more than I love the taste of a fresh Golden Delicious, I love every activity that evokes the spirit of fall. Carter's Mountain is actually very special to me because every year for my birthday weekend (up until high school) my family would drive up to Charlottesville to go hiking up here and enjoy the Apple Festivals that go on. Churning apple butter, corn mazes, pumpkins, sticks of flavored honey...definitely a trip down memory lane for me...Carter's Mountain was one of the first places I ever tried to drive with my learner's permit. That was when we had the giant red minivan hugging the winding path up the mountain for dear life -- but I digress.


                                           
 Joe had never been to pick apples before! So on our whirlwind tour of VA Beach and Richmond for Fall Break, I made sure to squeeze some Carter Mountain into our activities! On Tuesday Oct. 12 we packed light lunches and headed slightly east. When we got there we found a lot of the apples were picked over already, but he was really excited to get the giant apple picker to reach the highest apples! We got a bunch of freshly picked Granny Smith's in the hopes of making a pie eventually! After picking (on this unseasonably hot day) we rested in the shade with some cold apple cider and those heavenly apple cinnamon doughnuts. Joe got to take his picture in "the apple" (a tourist 'must' that has been around probably since I was born) and then we headed off to enjoy a drive through West Charlottesville in search of the beauty of nature in disguise of fluvial landscapes I needed to capture for my Geomorphology project.




“Women are like apples on trees, the best ones are on the top of the tree. The men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and don't want to get hurt. Instead, they just get the rotten apples from the ground that aren't so good but easy. So, the apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality they are amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top because they value quality.”



No comments:

Post a Comment