Saturday, October 30, 2010

#12: Visit Starbucks at the South Lawn

             For as long as I have been at the University, construction and planning have been materializing for the two new buildings of the South Lawn Project: Nau and Gibson. Over $105 million have been invested in the project, and after planting beautiful trees to line the walk over the bridge on Oct. 22 for the dedication ceremony, I consider the project complete and a success!

            The building is very modern- sterile almost – very different from the typical UVA building with its enormous windows and wrapping staircases lined with circular walls. There are many little study nooks where the sound echoing off the open floors actually doesn’t travel too much.

            I had the pleasure of first visiting this South Lawn masterpiece with Laura!!! Laura and I go back to San Sal 2009, and she is sunshine in human form and I wish I got to see her more, but being able to catch up at the new Starbucks here was just wonderful! I used my free Starbucks birthday card (love them- a real give away that you don’t have to use within the first week of your birthday haha) and got a Java Chip Frappuccino. Laura and I then found our nook and did a total grownup girl get-together catching up on our lives, school, friends, family, post-grad anxieties…I had a blast! We ended up having to cut our conversation short after 2 hours because we had lost track of time! The Starbucks itself is relatively small... they have the standard two comfy chairs that are always taken, so you pretty much have to take your drinks to go. But the plus side is that I think you can use your Plus Dollars here! I'm not sure I woul dhave ever gotten over to the Starbucks if it had not been on the list, but I’m so glad I got to see this magnificent building.


“Good communication is just as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments:

Post a Comment