Thursday, January 13, 2011

#86: Go Beyond the Corner to the South Street Brewery


            I have a confession to make. I almost missed this task by mistaking it for another brewery; an inferior brewery at that. I’ll set the record straight now: South Street Brewery is fantastic. While it is clearly marked by a simple and large panel running across the front dictating the name, the restaurant/microbrewery can be easy to miss as it is engulfed by the paved paradise front yard and situated on the street parallel to the downtown mall.  
            In order to overcome the burn we felt from the sun and the loss against Florida State, Joe really wanted to get a group together to go out and celebrate my birthday despite my protests. He is too sweet and I don’t deserve him. Anyway; Molly, Lauren, Jon, and Joe met Heather, Kimberly, and me on the trolley downtown that Saturday night for a shot at checking this off the list! It was a lovely evening, slightly too warm for some, but seeing as my body never could adapt to retain heat I was a bit chilly in my skirt. South Street was awesome…something that felt much less like a college scene and more as a transition into the type of place I would like very much to frequent as an adult (how apropos for the occasion of my twenty-second birthday). The restaurant was once a 1800s grain warehouse that still maintained the hearty polished wood floors, antiqued brick walls, and beer contraption I’m sure I will never fully comprehend.
            The food was delicious as I recall, but I was starving and as a member of the Clean Plate Club it’s hard to determine the taste of the food by what’s left in front of me. I’ll be sure to go back again and give a better report! I remember Joe ordering Hefeweizen (the name stuck with me because it sounded like a Heifer Wizard), and I could actually stand it because it had this orangish banana flavor that nearly drowned out the hoppy flavor. I had a pepperjack burger, my new favorite, but there was too much bun. I think it’s a pretty reasonably priced place, it was about $8 for my burger and they had a great selection of food overall from fancy bruschetta appetizers to pizza to delicate salmon dishes. Watch out for the bar drinks though, they were WEAK and overpriced.
            My favorite part of the night was Jon getting into Three <3. And our Rasta waiter guy who kept messing with Heather or just being sketchy...we'll never know!

“You know I love to talk about food I'm going to eat while I'm already eating.” – Will and Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment