Sunday, January 9, 2011

#21: See a Movie at Newcomb Theater


            Newcomb may not be the dining hall of the stars, but it does have a few great assets to make up for the handful of discourteous lunch ladies. The fourth floor is rarely visited, but after 5pm it’s a quiet place with 2 little nooks to go read or study, and it’s also where the LGBT office is (I learned that trying to buy my Drag Bingo tickets!). The third floor is home to the beautiful ballroom, Blue Boy painting, and my favorite slightly louder couches for waiting for dinner mates/AAGP meetings/studying. Second floor is the dining hall and game room (free pool and ping pong!). The first floor of Newcomb houses Bank of America, the Student Activity Center (SAC), and delicious Pav XI where you can spend your Plus dollars for Burrito Theory, Freshens, sushi, Montague’s Deli (ahhhhh), some weird pizza place I haven’t tried, or Chick Fil A!
            However, the real treasure of Newcomb lies within the depths. Just outside of the post office is a side stairwell that leads you to the Theater. On weekend nights, UPC sponsors just-out-of-theater movies to students for a $3 admission. I love it because it allows me to see the movies that are important to me without spending $9 for a movie ticket in one of Charlottesville’s tiny theaters! I feel like they used to offer cheap popcorn…but that wasn’t there the last time I went.
Thanks to Newcomb and UPC, I’ve seen:
·        The Blindside (Kim and I snuck in McFlurries and BK shakes...it's do-able)
·        The Dark Knight
·        Inception
Woo for UVA doing something to help entertain on a lower budget! It’s an experience for sure… this year’s UPC is doing something different so the student body can have more of a voice in choosing the movies that are previewed, so the schedule isn’t set up for spring semester yet. What I think is interesting is that the rise in RedBoxes allows a cheaper new-movie experience (especially if you’re watching with someone) so you would have access to those instant movies quicker than the old Blockbuster way. I wonder if the theater suffers as a result.

"Although for some people cinema means something superficial and glamorous, it is something else. I think it is the mirror of the world." -- Jeanne Moreau

No comments:

Post a Comment