Thursday, December 9, 2010

#23: Attend an Event at JPJ


            In early September of 2008, a breeze blew in a frenzy for rap and hip hop and a whisper of world famous artists that might be coming to Charlottesville. I wasn’t a huge fan of either, but the hype was really exciting, and I still haven’t been to many concerts, so I thought it would be a great idea to try. To get tickets alone, I had to skip my bio classes that morning to stand in a ridiculous line where you got raffle tickets with numbers on them in order to try to get a ticket. The line itself wrapped around Newcomb and slinked down the steps into the theater. The artists? Hip Hop sensation Jay-Z and notoriously ridiculous T.I.

            Kimberly, Tori and I went to the concert together and sat next to some random guy Tori had had to get tickets for. The opening act was Santogold and it was pretty crazy, probably a good start to her career. I was secretly hoping Beyonce would come out at some point because she’d gotten married to Jay-Z earlier that spring, but alas. And T.I. wasn’t such a Big Thing Poppin without Rhianna with him to do Live Your Life. It was definitely an interesting concert but it was just awkward to hear T.I. publically denounce President Bush and white people haha.
            While I’ve attended JPJ events including Convocation, receiving my class ring, and basketball games especially, I’ve chosen to highlight this one because it was interesting. Odd. Not something I would repeat, but something that makes my college experience unique from most :D
“Rap is poetry set to music. But to me it’s like a jackhammer.” – Bette Midler

No comments:

Post a Comment